Saturday, March 16, 2013

DIY: Deco mirror

I recently purchased a hand held mirror from daiso to put it in my class when I need it (so I don't have to walk all the way to the toilet). Knowing me I wouldn't leave it undecorated. I grabbed my cabochons and started straight at work.

WARNING: This isn't the cheapest way to decorate your things. Don't say I didn't warn you. Do this only if you are willing to spent the money.

I add on suggestions on cheaper methods later. Let's get started!
Things you need:
-Mirror
-Cabochons
-Clay canes

-Rhinestones
-Beads
-Icing tip
-Silicone
-Plastic bag
-Tape

Start of by getting your mirror and placing your cabochons on the top. This is to help you decide on your design. You can choose to do impromptu but if you ruin it, that's it.
This process can take quite a while so be patient. Take a picture of it for you to refer. You final product might end up exactly like you plan cause there bound to be changes as you make.
After your done deciding, place the icing tip at the tip by cutting a small hole at the side. Tape it down and fill it with silicone.
Start of with the boarder. Do this slowly and use the same amount of strength to make sure that it is consistent, Fill in the center. You can choose the same way as the boarder to fill the center but I went with this method cause it's less time consuming and it will be covered by the cabochons. Proceed to putting your cabochons and remember to refer back to the pictures you took.

Now for the final product!
.
.
.
.
...
.
.
.
.
.
.....
..
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
DONE! Just be aware that using this many cabochons will make the mirror heavy thus not very suitable to be brought everywhere.

But here are some ways to lighten it as well as a cheaper way to do so:
-Head down to the beads shop and get different kinds of beads that you adore. Minimise the number of cabochons used and use beads instead.
-Use any old figurines or charms from your jewellery that you do not wear any more instead of buying them.
-Make the border at the side bigger and decorate it with rhinestones and clay canes instead.,. Place cabochons only in the center.
-Get some clay and make your own cabochons!

Sorry for uploading this so late cause I've been down with the flu. Like our facebook page for regular updates!




No comments:

Post a Comment